The Bishops of Scotland have NOT reimposed the Sunday obligation, but if you wish to attend Mass it is essential that the conditions below are observed.
- Social distancing is to be carefully observed;
- Face-coverings are compulsory for those attending church (except under-5s);
- A maximum attendance of 50 people per service is being imposed for now, but this will be reviewed on 30th July;
- For each Mass, the parish is to retain details of names and contact details of all attendees. (Please note this is for track and trace purposes and if there is a case of covid-19 in the church this will have ramifications for those who attend that Mass).
In the parishes of St. Peter’s and St. Columba’s the following conditions are to be noted for 20th-24th July (any subsequent changes will be published on the parish website and facebook pages):
- Mass will NOT be celebrated in St. Peter’s due to the ongoing asbestos removal works but we hope to have it open for Masses on the weekend of 25th-26th July. Until then, all public Masses will be at St. Columba’s.
- There will be no pass-keepers, music ministry, eucharistic ministers or lay readers.
- Mass will be celebrated in a brief but dignified fashion with no homily.
- The limit of 50 people at Mass will be adhered to strictly. Given that it is difficult to publicise this in advance it is possible that people will be turned away at the door of the church. As of Vigil Masses on Saturday 25th July you will have to sign up on the internet in order to attend.
See Mass Times page for details on Mass times and how to book.
Marriages & Baptisms
In the first instance please introduce yourself to a priest or member of the clergy after Sunday Mass and discuss with them. Baptisms require 4 months’ notice and Marriages 1 Year’s notice in writing to Parish Priest
Listen again to the weekly homilies from Fr Douglas and Deacon Smith
Our Weekly Newsletter
You can read our full parish newsletter here:St Columba’s Newsletter 2020-08-09
THANK YOU to everyone who has converted their cash giving to a standing order recently. This really helps the parish now, and in the future. Did you know that less
than one third of the regular Parish contributions come from direct payments to the bank? Please consider setting up a Standing Order
Sort Code: 83-06-08, Account Number: 10402355, Account Name: Archdiocese of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, St. Columbas Parish.
Sunday Mass Online
Archdiocesan YouTube Channel:
Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh 2020
Going into Hospital?
Don’t forget to let the hospital know that you’re a Catholic. For the Royal Infirmary leave a message at the Chaplaincy Centre for the Revd Duncan McLaren. This means you’ll be on the lists of patients to whom Eucharistic Ministers bring Holy Communion
Edinburgh Foodbank Project
Instead of donating groceries at Mass you can donate money and order food deliveries direct to the warehouse: https://edinburghnw.foodbank.org.uk/give-help/